Thursday, December 20, 2007

A few thoughts on Nebraska

So wasn't bringing back Tom Osborne and hiring Bo Pelini supposed to heal the hearts and minds of Husker fans and bring everyone back together? It seems from what I read that Nebraska fans are now as divided as ever. I admit, I haven't followed the current saga going on nearly as much as I normally would have (excuse me for being less than interested in Pelini as the head coach of Nebraska). So yeah its early on. So yeah Nebraska is losing recruits (and defensive recruits) like crazy right now. And yeah, people on both sides are rationalizing whatever they want to so it gives them a "feel good" mentality. The Bo Pelini's are rationalizing decommits by saying things like:

"yeah well we didn't want these guys anyways."
"the previous staff's recruits were all overrated anyways and we're better off starting from scratch."
"Pelini evaluated the film and pulled the offer."

Well you know what? I sure hope you guys are right. Because about a month before signing day and we've lost the core of what was once a very athletic and promising group of players.

If Pelini is such a genius, why couldn't he have taken these players, kept them in the fold and coached them up into something? Wasn't that what Tom Osborne wanted?

Instead it looks like he's going to take some less highly touted players and coach them into something? Right?

I find it most ironic that 5 star Simi Kuli, who once committed to NU over LSU, is now done with Nebraska. Everyone thought he comitted to NU because he knew Pelini would be the coach here. You tell me-the only common denominator in that equation is Pelini. But Kuli sucked and Pelini didn't want him anyways. Right?

And why did Tom Osborne make such a big deal about saving this recruiting class when he was hired on as AD? Think this is really what Tom Osborne had in mind when he hired Pelini and kept Shawn Watson?

Like I said...time will tell where this ship is going. So far, it looks like a rocky start. If rumors about Barney Cotton and his recruiting prowess are true, I'm one for one so far. Because I warned against the hiring of Barney "this is the real Big Red" Cotton. Wait until Callahan's players are gone to completely judge the man.

At least if we hired Paul Johnson, we would have known we were getting a coach that could take "average" players, coach them up and put them in a position to be successful. The only thing I've seen with Pelini is he can take a group of highly regarded recruits and turn them into something average.

Trust me, I just returned on a business trip to Louisiana and talked at length with numerous LSU fans. And they all said "Thank you for taking Pelini."

But hey, people will believe whatever they want to. I'm sure I'm just full of crap and a bitter fan with an axe to grind.

By the way, has Pelini signed a contract yet??

No comments: